CNC Machining of a Stainless Steel Hub for the Aircraft Engine Industry
At KL Steven we specialize in precision manufacturing of tight tolerance components for various industries. The project highlighted here exemplifies our ability to provide precision CNC turning to customers in the aerospace industry. This alternator rotor hub was designed for use in a helicopter application. The customer supplied drawings called out overall dimensions of 1-5/8" x 2", with an outside diameter of 1.625". Composed of a 347 stainless steel, which met AMS 5646 standards for corrosion and heat resistance, it also required tolerances of ±.0005".
Utilizing our automatic cutoff saw the raw stock was prepared for machining, which included CNC and manual turning, and boring. Honing was completed on our Extrude Hone (internal abrasive media deburr). Gears were then machined on our Fellows gear shaper, with all of the spline surfaces deburred and edges broken to .001 - .015", the finished part was then polished. Throughout the manufacturing process quality control was maintained through dimensional and visual Inspection.
For more information on this project or the processes used to manufacture it, see the table below or contact us directly.Request Quote
CNC Machining of a Stainless Steel Hub – Project Details
- Product Description
- Alternator Rotor Hub, Alternator installed in Helicopter
- Precision CNC Turning Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Automatic Cutoff Saw
Fellows Gear Shaper
Extrude Hone (Internal Abrasive Media Deburr)
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 1-5/8" x 2"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- AMS 5646 347 Stainless Steel
O.D.: Ø 1.625"
- Material Finish
- Polished Finish
- In Process Testing / Inspection Performed
- Dimensional Inspection, Visual Inspection, Spline- Individual Attributes.
- Industry for Use
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 16 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
- Product Name
- Splined Rotor Hub
- Why did you choose this project to show case?
- Rotating Component. Several tolerances of .0005" total. All spline surfaces deburred and edges broken .001 - .015"